Scared? Don't be. You do have options.
The goal is to reverse and prevent any further damage ASAP!
First things first. Prevention.
Look over this checklist and see how many tips you are following already, and what you can be doing better.
Personal Skincare Checklist:
- I use SPF of 30 or greater daily on face & neck area - year round
- I cleanse my face and neck with a gentle cleanser am & pm
- I use a serum for my skin type and specific concerns (serums are much more potent than moisturizers and more easily absorbed)
- I follow a proper skin care regimen
- When in the sun, I reapply a sunscreen of 30 or greater, every 2 hours (more often if sweating or swimming)
- When in the sun, I wear a broad rimmed hat when possible
- I choose to sit in the shade when possible (no laughing out loud here - you sun worshippers!)
- I drink plenty of water and keep caffeinated beverages and alcohol to a minimum
- I eat plenty of fruits and veggies every day - For a list of the "Best Foods for Healthy Skin", visit the Mayo Clinic here
- I keep sugars to a minimum (breaks down collagen)
- I do not smoke (limits oxygen to the epidermis and depletes collagen and elastin)
- I take warm showers instead of hot and get in and out quickly (long hot showers strip the skins natural oils)
- I manage my stress well (hee hee - this one makes even me laugh!) - try to reduce your to do list. At times they are impossibly long! Remember to make some time for things you enjoy as well.
The next step is Reversal.
There are many treatments that will help with reversal of sun damage/pigmentation. I will review the two most popular.
IPL Photo Facials and Skin Peels.
IPL is usually the first line of combat. A high powered IPL is able to remove up to 95% of any sun damage/pigmentation.
Our medical grade IPL machine provides a fantastic sun damage/pigmentation* treatment! It will target brown spots and help to iradicate them within 4-14 days. However, you cannot have a tan at the time of the treatment - therefore now is usually a good time to have this done - prior to the summer sun!
* Also great for treating Rosacea, broken capillaries and diffused redness.
Check out this brief video:
Another option is to have a peel. We offer both the organic Dr. Schrammek Green Peel, as well as PCA's chemical peels. A brief consultation will help you to decide which is the best option for you. A peel is a great choice for the following reasons:
- dull/rough skin
- uneven skin tone/texture
- for those with pigmentation very close to the eye area
- helps treat Melasma.