Here it is - the "Coles Notes" Version of our recent research….
- Mexoryl (strong photostable protection)
- Tinosorb S and Tinosorb M UVA blockers (better than Avobenzone)
- Zinc Oxide - UVA protector
- REAPPLY EVERY 2 HOURS OR MORE
- Slather it on - studies show we use 1/4 to 2/3 of the proper amount to provide us with the products SPF rating
- Cover up where possible
- Wear a hat and sunglasses
- Canada is working on stiffer sunscreen rules than our U.S neighbour. It's taking a closer look at Europe - who has much tougher sunscreen regulation. As of now, more than 50% of our sunscreens would never be able to be sold in Europe.
- Oxybenzone - disrupts hormones in the body
- Sprays (inhilation concerns/inadecuit coverage
- Loose powders ( same as above)
- Retinyl Palmitate/Vit A (harmful when in the sun)
- No spray sunscreens - lungs/respiratory
- Have your Vitamin D levels checked - you do not want to be depleted of such an important nutrient in the body. You may need to supplement.
- UVA rays do not decline as much when the sun is lower in the sky or is overcast and also - really bad news - it penetrates glass! That really stinks! So…in other words, make sure you are wearing a daily cream or make up with 15 or greater SPF.
Oh that "healthy" bronzed glow…IT'S NOT HEALTHY!...
- DO NOT USE TANNING BEDS - they expose us to 15 times more UV radiation then the sun. This is what they believe has caused the increase in Melanoma cases.
- Do not use self tanning creams - many chemicals in them have not been tested.
- MEN - USE SUNSCREEN! Only 34% of men vs. 78% of women use sunscreen and twice as many men are dying from melanoma.
- TEENS - Here is a shocker - YOU WILL BE 40 ONE DAY - so take care of your skin. Almost every 40+ person we see, tells us they wish they had been better with taking care of their skin in their teens/early 20's.